Over the course of the semester, I listened to many different podcast. Some were very interesting, some were only mildly interesting, but I learned something new from all of them. I learned how to integrate different types of technology into my classroom including the use of cell phones, iPods, iPads, laptops, etc. With how quickly technology is becoming integrated into the curriculum around the U.S., this was something that I needed to be very familiar with. After listening to all of the different types of podcasts, I did develop a favorite: Tech Chick Tips.
Tech Chick Tips is run by two women from Texas (definitely hit close to home since I am from Texas!) They are both educators so they bring first-hand knowledge about using technology in the classrooms to their podcasts. Another great thing about their podcasts is that they discuss new and inventive tools that I probably wouldn't have learned about otherwise! The seem very passionate about getting kids involved in the real world and finding real world application through technology. One of the tools they talked about was Secret Builders. It's a tool that allows the teacher to create a virtual world for their student to navigate. The site combines the student's interactions with famous historical characters with different quizzes and activities. The majority of their tools they discussed in the podcasts that I listened to were a lot like Secret Builders: tools that were interactive for the student yet also allowed real world application.
One of the main things I learned from the different podcasts that I listened to over the course of the semester is that technology is always changing and getting better. There will always be a new tool or program that is available and as a teacher, it's our job to stay up to date on them. As teachers, we need to make sure we are doing everything possible to get our students the latest and greatest programs and technology. Listening to these podcasts in the future will help me to do this!

No comments:
Post a Comment